REVIEW: Kevyn Aucoin The Celestial Powder - Candlelight

I've never written a make up review before. Now, this is definitely not because I don't wear much make up - the 10 inches worth of foundation shovelled onto my face will vouch for that - it's just that if I'm honest, I'm a bit nervous about splashing my mush (that's your face for anybody who doesn't understand cockney/common/south east London lingo) all over the World Wide Web!

But, I'm putting aside the fact that the most enormous spot blemish reared it's ugly head upon said mush today, (how bloody typical is that?) sucking it up - so to speak - and wacking one on here anyway, because today I'm reviewing a product that I love so much, that I think it's only fair to try and give the best review I possibly can. Ahh...isn't that nice of me? 

So, my first make up review goes to a product that to me, just screams luxury, screams high end, screams quality - it does a lot of flipping screaming doesn't it? - that product? Kevyn Aucoin's Celestial powder in Candlelight.
Now, as is quite clearly obvious from all of the pictures in this post, I used this product before I snapped. Whaaaaaaat? Who is this disgrace to the world of beauty blogging?! I know, I know, major blogger fail/cardinal sin, but the truth, is that I bought this highlighter way back in December after my brother bought me a Space NK voucher as one of my birthday presents - I know, boy done good - and yes, the 5 year old inside me tried it as soon as I got home, and yes, I've used it ever since! 

Now, onto the details. Why do I like Kevyn Aucoin's Candlelight so much? Well, I'll tell you...(that would probably be a good idea considering this is a review)...First off, the colour - Candlelight is a beautiful golden, champagne toned highlighter which massively appealed to me as I am very olive skinned anyway and am yet to find a pink based highlighter that suits me (...yet to find any item of makeup that improves my appearance, but that's another rant all together) although saying this, pale skinned friends of mine have borrowed this and it still looks amazing on them too.

Next up for inspection, the texture - this is where the price (more on that later) and quality shines through. This is the most finely milled powder, let alone highlighter, that I've ever come across. The texture is so buttery smooth that it never looks powdery or unnatural - unless you really overdo it, let's face it, nobody naturally looks like a bafta award trophy do they? - but just gives the most lovely 'glow'. No hint of glitter in sight, which makes a nice change from previous highlighters I've used. (Mac Soft and Gently - you hold a dear place in my heart as one of my first Mac products ever purchased...but I am looking at you!)

*WARNING: You are about to see an extremely poor attempt to capture the beautiful glow Kevyn Aucoin's little treasure gives, an extremely forced smile and (most frighteningly) an extremely haggard/tired looking/dishevelled/ [insert insulting word here] picture of my face. Don't say you wasn't warned...
For reference, all I'm wearing in this picture 'cheek-wise' is Nars Laguna and the Kevin Aucoin Candlelight. Oh, and the 10inches of foundation I mentioned earlier, obviously!
Now, pictures worthy of a Shrek look-a-like competition aside, there is a downside to the product - only the one, but still a downside - and that's the price. At a wince inducing £34, this product does not come cheap, but - cue a shameless attempt to justify spending a silly amount of money on a bit of make up - it is a luxury item, it will last forever (it better bloody do) and I am yet to find anything that compares to this. Plus, I've received so many compliments whilst wearing this. I also got a "you look quite...alive, today" I mean, you can't get better than 'alive' can you? Even if it does mean they were basically saying you look dead before.
Oh well, beggars can't be choosers!

Kevyn Aucoin is stocked at Space NK, in stores and online here

So, what do we all think. Has anyone else bought this product, anyone thinking of buying it? I'd love to know your thoughts!

Hope this post was helpful and you enjoyed this guys, thanks so much for reading!

xx

Labels: , , ,